Wednesday 29 December 2010

Busy Busy Busy......calm

Since our Devon trip life has been crazy and it is only now the holidays are here that I can finally find time to post.  In the run up to Christmas I have been working solidly to get my soap orders out and sew stock for the shop I work at Sally Bourne Interiors not to mention teaching.  The very cold weather we have had has meant that on top of smaller sewn items for gifts we are selling a large amount of draft excluders for all those old victorian houses in Crouch End and Muswell Hill.  I can't seem to make them fast enough and just when I think I have enough to keep them going I  get another phone call. 

At the beginning of December I found a website on twitter called From the Wilde it is a lovely boutique site selling a variety of products from British designer makers amoung them Poppy Trefry of whom I am a big fan (she does all her sewing on vintage Singers)  I emailed the shop owner and mentioned that they seemed to have a very empty Bath and Beauty section.  Well a few days and many emails later my products are now launched on the site and I must say look lovely.  It is so nice to see my soap in its lovely new packaging on such a beautifully arranged site and hopefully I will get a few sales and my products more well known.  Now that the crazy period is over I can start planning for my business next year and one of the things I am really looking forward to is launching my range of recycled fabric patchwork quilts and cushion again via from the wilde. I always found it a little strange to buy brand new fabric and then cut it up in to little pieces and sew it back together again, especially when there is so much lovely fabric around that needs re-purposing.  To this end I have amassed a collection of second hand clothes and curtains to turn into quilts.  It feels a little closer to the original patchwork that was done using whatever fabric they had left and appeals to my thrifty nature.  It is always difficult selling items that are all one of a kind in main stream shops so finding the simple designs and just making the colours different is the best way I can see to produce quilts for shops or online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment